Pretend you own a business on Main St. One day, your town says "You're not allowed to sell anything anymore. You can still be open, and you can give things away, but no selling anything! You're too little . . . maybe when you get bigger, then we can re-visit this."
You might say to yourself, "Well, I don't run a business so it doesn't impact me." I ask you to stop, think for a moment, and consider helping out.
That's essentially what is about to happen to myself and thousands of other small content creators. YouTube is the city we "do business in," and we're a bit too small.
On Feb. 20th, 2018, YouTube is going to remove all channels on YouTube that have fewer than 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 annual viewing hours from the Partner Program. This means that (unless something changes, read on) small channels, like myself, will be allowed to exist, but we can't make any money from the advertisements that you see on YouTube. Some say this is a good change, some say this is a bad change. It's not the purpose of this post to go into that, but, it is something we're needing to adjust to for sure.
Since most of that money earned goes right back into content creation (after all, if we're small, we want to grow!), this will cause some pain, at least in the short run. I would love to get over 1,000 subscribers before Feb 20th -- we'll just have to see if that's possible!!! I would also be glad to help others in a similar boat.
In an effort to "do something" that helps both myself and other small channels, I've put this list together. Think of it like a Coalition of Small Channels.
Here I will list the YouTube Creators of Small Channels that I will help to promote in light of the recent changes to the YouTube Partner Program!
Here's who we're looking for:
|Learning about the Partner Program changes|
- We don't want "spammy" channels or people that just record themselves playing a video game. These are the channels that (in part) are forcing YouTube's hand in the matter! Have at least 5 total videos with good, helpful content and at least 3 videos in the past 12 months.
- While I would like it if you would check out some of my videos (Dugroz), you are not obligated to sub to me. Think of this as a resource, not a mandate.
- Just to be clear, I will not support or participate in a "I will sub to you if you sub to me scenario." This is JUST exposure!
I reserve the right to exclude any channel from this list for any reason. For example, I will exclude any inappropriate or political channels. Good examples are product reviews, hobbies, sports, tech (so long as actual commentary, not just playing games), etc. Who makes the decision? Me! Don't like that? Start your own blog!
Let's just enjoy the ride and see where it goes!
Still don't understand what this is all about? Watch this video.
Check Out All of These Small YouTube Channels!
- Dugroz (me!) - https://www.youtube.com/user/dugroz
- Cheapskate Projects - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwww9tLR8AKPSXzeengQt3g
- The Fishing Hobby - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqne7f-bMbuFFlnKETAesiA
- Broknex - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5ooNh1r5RmqJZRx2ydcLhQ
- BluzGuitar Guy Fishing Antics - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW8WEBV8ExZFnAnDvlZQSHQ
- Christopher Farms - https://www.youtube.com/user/IndianaCaver
- Blaze Pollard Productions - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7bOLCo8BBaTKH5WKRDmIRA
- Fly Fishing Ninja - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChZA4UWGsxEk0Kmx1sFrVOA
- Laid Back Homemaker - https://www.youtube.com/user/drehasadd
- Bearded Bass Bros - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCis2fc79-uePiVSpGSEQ1SA
- Mr. Thompkins Ed Tech - https://www.youtube.com/user/tcolcbsf
- No_?ne, Piano Covers, Transcriptions, and More - https://www.youtube.com/user/noone99990
- Sky Pilot - https://www.youtube.com/c/SkyPilotAU
- SeeZee - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx4v7Jp394x7Zh9Pf31fFTw
- Roger Bailey - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk1F8XLAGdTayfziKg0cjSw
- Chuck: Outdoors, Gear Review - https://www.youtube.com/user/MrNvrhapy
- Zerosaber621 - https://www.youtube.com/user/Zerosaber621
- Sharing Skills - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOyaFBygyYnOmh-b29hoXQA
- Southern Country Living - https://www.youtube.com/user/cltowe
- Hateley Motorsports - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvnZa0JCgQi-YPJCJcgXX1w
- Weirdly O.C.D. - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmczcUpJfbbEHT_bPZ9xveQ
- Get Out The House Go Fish - https://www.youtube.com/c/GetOutTheHouseGoFish
- Down the Wrabbit Hole - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ70PtJHGfjJQqQz3DdHLuA
- Jay's World (Handyman/Woodworking) - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbpp0Tu9AHWey5OMRG8i4nA
- Joe Z. (Household repairs, tutorials, etc.) - https://www.youtube.com/user/JOEZEP54